Air Fryer Chicken Pesto Flatbread Pizza
Air Fryer Chicken Pesto Flatbread is a quick and savory 4-ingredient appetizer perfect for serving at potlucks and dinner parties. Packed full of aromatic Italian flavors, this air fried flatbread pizza is gooey, cheesy, and downright delicious!
Want more pizza inspired appetizers? Try my BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls and Bacon Jalapeno Pizza!
Have you ever found yourself needing an elegant, yet simple appetizer in a pinch? Look no further than this Chicken Pesto Flatbread Pizza recipe! Made in 10 minutes with only three ingredients, pesto chicken flatbreads are beyond easy to throw together and are utterly delectable.
The chewy flatbread, garlicky and herby pesto, melty mozzarella cheese, and hearty grilled chicken come together to create an Italian-inspired dish that is truly more than the sum of its parts. Whip out a platter of these flatbread pizzas at your next get-together and watch as your friends and family fall in love with this dish!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pita Flatbreads – This soft and chewy bread can be found in the bakery section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find pita bread, naan bread is a good substitution.
- Basil Pesto – Store bought or homemade, this herb and garlic spread adds a ton of salty, basily goodness to these air fryer flatbreads.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Melts down to gooey, cheesy perfection! If you don’t have mozzarella, a mild white cheddar or parmesan would be good replacements.
- Grilled Chicken – Feel free to use any leftover chicken you may have lying around, grill some up fresh, or use some shredded rotisserie chicken!
How to Make Chicken Pesto Flatbread Pizza
What makes this recipe so easy is that it’s made in the air Fryer! You can also cook it in the oven and I’ll share instructions for that below.
- Using a spoon or knife, spread a generous amount of pesto onto the top of each flatbread.
- Top flatbread with the grilled chicken and mozzarella cheese, making sure the ingredients are evenly spaced over the surface of each flatbread.
- Air fry the flatbreads one at a time until they’re warmed through and the mozzarella has begun to turn golden.
- Cut each flatbread into the desired number of slices, serve hot, and enjoy! You can serve these as is, or with a dipping sauce like Blue Cheese Dip or Creamy Herb Veggie Dip.
I love serving this chicken pesto flatbread as an appetizer, but it can also be paired with some fun sides to create a full meal! Try pairing your flatbreads with a Ceasar salad, garlic bread, roasted vegetables, or a charcuterie board!
Not exactly. Flatbread (also called pita bread or sometimes naan) is flat and often round like a tortilla, but is a yeasted bread. The yeast makes flatbread slightly puffier, chewier, and softer than a tortilla. However, if you’re in a pinch, you could totally make these pesto chicken flatbreads on a flour tortilla!
Absolutely! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still get these chicken pesto flatbreads warm and crispy in the oven. Prepare the flatbreads as directed, arrange them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and pop them into the oven.
Broil for about 5 minutes or until they’re warmed through and slightly crispy on the edges.
The simplicity of this warm and savory snack is part of what makes this recipe so amazing. You can easily swap out ingredients to create a whole bunch of fun and unique flatbreads!
- Veggies: Create a loaded veggie pesto flatbread by adding tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, red onion, and olives.
- More Protein: For a protein-packed version, add pepperoni, sausage, meatballs, bacon, prosciutto, or salami.
- Different Sauces: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your sauces. You can easily swap out the basil pesto for a sundried tomato pesto, creamy pesto, alfredo sauce, or even a traditional tomato sauce.
- Pizza: Use your favorite pizza toppings, like pepperoni, ham, or pineapple.
Storage and Reheating
I doubt you’ll have any leftovers, but if you do, it’s actually quite easy to store or freeze.
To Store: Gently place your leftover slices into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: Simply store your airtight container of leftovers in the freezer. Your flatbread should stay good for up to 2 months.
To Reheat: If frozen, allow to thaw completely. I recommend reheating in the air fryer at 350 until warmed through, but you can also heat in the oven. Place flatbreads on a parchment-lined baking sheet and broil until heated to your liking.
- I recommend reheating this flatbread in the air fryer whether you store it in the fridge or in the freezer.
- It is important to preheat the air fryer before baking the pizza to ensure that the cheese melts all the way.
- This flatbread tastes great garnished with a drizzle of pesto or olive oil and some fresh basil leaves or arugula.
- For a pretty presentation and finishing touch, sprinkle with parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese.
More Easy Handheld Appetizers
Air Fryer Chicken Pesto Flatbread Pizza
- 2 pita flatbreads
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup diced grilled chicken
- Kosher salt and Black pepper optional, to taste
- Preheat the air fryer for five minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the air fryer is preheating, coat the top of each flatbread in a thin layer of pesto.
- Top the flatbreads with cheese and grilled chicken and bake one at a time for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle the top with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired. Serve and enjoy!