Homemade snack mix gets a spicy upgrade with this Spicy Chex Mix recipe! Made with 3 kinds of Chex cereal, pretzel, cheese crackers, peanuts, and a peppery blend of seasonings and spices.
Kick off your next party with a Spicy Chex Mix! It’s a versatile snack mix that’s easy to make and perfect for a crowd. You can bake it in the oven, which is my preferred method when I have the time, or you can cook it in the microwave.
Table of Contents
Spicy Sriracha Chex Mix Recipe
This recipe takes a classic snack mix and gives it a punch of heat with spicy Sriracha sauce. It’s got a lot of the same ingredients, like peanuts and pretzels, just with a spicy kick.
This Spicy Chex Mix is great for parties, is especially popular with teenagers, and it will disappear fast, even though it makes a ton. If you are just making it for a household snack or for a few people you can easily scale down the recipe.
It’s hard to stop yourself from eating more than a few servings, it’s just so good! It will stay fresh for a couple of weeks in an airtight container, although I doubt it will last that long!
Ingredients for Spicy Chex Mix
- Chex Cereal – I use a combination of the three flagship flavors: Corn Chex, Rice Chex and Wheat Chex. Just about any mix of Chex cereal will do, though.
- Mini Pretzels – There is a debate about which shape of pretzels are best. I personally like the way twisted shape of the mini pretzels, but sticks are my second choice.
- Cheese Crackers or Goldfish – Like Cheez-Its or Cheese Goldfish crackers.
- Peanuts – Optional; omit if there are allergies. Or use mixed nuts, cashews, or pecans.
- Unsalted Butter – I prefer unsalted here because of the soy sauce and garlic salt.
- Soy Sauce – For a savory flavor bump.
- Sriracha Hot Sauce – A moderately spicy sauce made from red jalapeno peppers.
- Seasonings – Garlic Salt, Onion Powder, Paprika.
How To Make Spicy Chex Mix
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Cover 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Mix together the cereal, crackers, pretzels and nuts in an extra large bowl.
- Melt butter in the microwave and whisk in remaining sauce ingredients, then pour oven cereal mixture and stir to coat.
- Spread out on the sheet pans and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.
How Spicy is it?
Sriracha is a moderately spicy sauce, so it’s not overly spicy, just has a nice kick to it. You’ll feel the heat, but it’s not overwhelming. If you want more heat, I’d add a couple pinches of Cayenne pepper to the seasonings.
Additional Mix-Ins and Variations
- Nuts: You can omit the nuts if you want, or add something other than peanuts. Cashews, walnuts or almonds are great, or a mixed nut variety. Sunflower seeds can be fun, too.
- Sweet and Spicy: Use Honey Nut Chex or Cheerios, or swap out the peanuts for honey roasted. You could also add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the butter sauce.
- Buffalo Chex Mix: Use Frank’s Red Hot instead of Sriracha.
- Bagel chips
- Mini breadsticks
- Rice crackers
- Wasabi peas
Can you Make Chex Mix in the Microwave?
If you want to speed up the process, you can make your snack mix in the microwave. I will advise you to bake it if you have the time – you’ll get a much better, and more intense flavor.
- In an extra large, microwave-safe bowl mix the cereal, crackers, pretzels and nuts together.
- Melt butter in a small glass bowl in the microwave and whisk in remaining sauce ingredients, then pour oven cereal mixture and stir to coat.
- Microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with paper towels and spread out the cereal mix. Let cool for 20 minutes before snacking.
As long as it’s stored in an airtight container, your Chex Party Mix will stay fresh for a couple of weeks. Do not refrigerate.
You can freeze Chex mix for up to three months and have this delicious snack ready to go when you are. It doesn’t even take long to thaw!
- Foil is more likely to tear, so I prefer parchment paper.
- Use the largest spatula you have for stirring – you want to make sure to flip and stir so the mix is evenly cooked.
- Don’t cook longer than an hour. The cereal mix will seem a little soggy even up to the time you take it out of the oven, but it gets crispier as it cools.
- If you omit the nuts, add an extra cup of cereal.
More Snack Recipes to Try
Spicy Chex Mix
- 9 cups Rice, Corn, and Wheat Chex cereal (3 cups of each or any combination)
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups cheese crackers or goldfish
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine the cereal, peanuts, pretzels and cheese crackers.
- Melt the butter in a small, microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Add the soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic salt, onion powder and paprika and whisk until well combined.
- Pour half of the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and toss well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Pour the remaining butter mixture over the cereal and toss well.
- Spread the Chex mix out over two baking sheets and bake for 45-60 minutes, gently stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Once the mix is completely cooled, serve, or store in an airtight container.