Homemade Hummus from scratch is so easy and the results are soft, creamy, and flavorful. Serve with pita chips or veggies for a simple, delicious and healthy party snack. Try out different variations to customize the recipe.
Hummus is an authentic middle eastern dish made from ground chickpeas, olive oil, lemon, garlic and spices. It’s thick and creamy and a great healthy snacking option. Homemade hummus is easy, tastes so fresh and better than store bought.
Table of Contents
Why We Love Homemade Hummus
- Simple Ingredients – You only need a can of chickpeas and a few simple ingredients to make homemade hummus.
- Blend and Serve – Just add everything to a food processor and blend together!
- Customizable – There are so many ways to customize this hummus with different flavors.
- It’s Good for You! Hummus is packed with fiber and protein, vegan, and gluten free.
Homemade Hummus Ingredients
- Chickpeas – Also known as Garbanzo Beans, you can use canned or dried. If they’re dried, you have to cook them first. Chickpeas are packed full of fiber and protein.
- Lemon – Fresh juice from a lemon to add a little bit of tang.
- Olive Oil – Extra Virgin Olive Oil to give the dip some volume. It’s also drizzled on top for an authentic finish.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves, minced to get 1 teaspoon.
- Spices – Paprika and Cumin.
How to Make Hummus
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
- Blend Ingredients – Add the canned chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and cumin to a food processor and pulse until everything is combined.
- Add Water – Add water, one tablespoon at a time, while blending until the hummus has a smooth texture. Taste and season with salt as desired.
- Serve – Transfer the hummus from the food processor to a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of paprika or parsley and serve!
You can use dried chickpeas but they’ll need to be soaked or cooked first, so I find using canned chickpeas much easier and more convenient.
While you can peel the chickpeas before blending to make a smoother hummus, I found the difference to be so small that I don’t typically take the time and effort to do so.
Hummus is a great dip for homemade pita chips – I like to give it a drizzle with a little extra olive oil for a pretty presentation. You can also cut up pita bread in triangles for dipping or serve with an assortment of raw veggies like bell pepper, carrots, and broccoli.
In addition to snacking, hummus is also great spread on a sandwich or wrap for lunch. You can even turn hummus into salad dressing by thinning it down with some extra lemon juice and water.
This recipe works great as a base hummus recipe, making it easier to add whatever flavor you would like. Try adding one of these mix-ins when blending:
- Roasted Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves of roasted garlic.
- Roasted Red Pepper – About ½ cup of roasted red peppers that are drained from the jar.
- Sun-Dried Tomato – About ½ cup of sun-dried tomatoes that are drained from a jar.
- Kalamata Olive – About ½ cup of pitted Kalamata olives.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Storage – It will last for 6-7 days in the fridge when covered with plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container.
Freezing – It can also be frozen for 2-3 months in a freezer container or bag. When you are ready to serve it, just set it in the fridge to thaw completely. Freezing may slightly impact the texture so it may not be as silky smooth.
- Tahini – If you want to make the hummus extra smooth, you can add one tablespoon of tahini (blended sesame seeds).
- Lemon – If you want less intense lemon flavor, you can cut the amount of lemon juice in half and add 1-2 extra tablespoons of water to ensure a smooth final product.
More Easy Cold Dips To Try
- 16 ounces can of chickpeas
- 1 lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-3 tablespoons cold water as needed
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are homogenous.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until the mixture has reached a smooth, soft consistency.
- Serve with pita bread, veggies, etc. and enjoy!