Last updated on
Homemade pita chips are nice and thick, crunchy and perfectly spiced. Serve them with your favorite hummus or dip or just munch on them as is for a tasty snack.
Because they’re baked instead of fried, homemade pita chips are a healthier alternative to crackers or bread. We love dipping them into our favorite homemade hummus, Veggie Dip, or Whipped Feta Dip or adding them to an epic Cheese Board or Charcuterie Board.
Next time you’re in a snacking mood, bake up some homemade pita chips! They’re better than store-bought and easy to customize.
Table of Contents
Why We Love Homemade Pita Chips
- Only 5 Minutes of Prep – Just cut, toss and bake!
- Easily Customizable – Use your favorite herbs, spices or flavored oils.
- Make Ahead and Freezer Friendly – Stored properly they will keep for several days at room temp, or in the freezer for a few months.
How To Make Homemade Pita Chips
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
All you need is pita bread, oil, and some simple spices to make baked pita chips. Here are the easy steps:
- Prep – Start by preheating the oven to 350℉. You’ll have the pita chips ready to bake by the time the oven is hot.
- Toss Pita Triangles – Cut the pita bread into triangles. Mix together olive oil, dried parsley, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl and brush the pita triangles with the oil mixture. Spread out onto a nonstick baking sheet. *Note – brushing the pitas with the oil mixture allows for a lighter coating. You could also toss with the oil if you prefer.
- Bake – Bake the pita chips for about 12 minutes or until the tops are just turning golden brown.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Compared to traditional chips that are fried, baked pita chips are a healthier snacking alternative. Whole wheat pitas would be an even healthier option.
Most store-bought pita bread contains gluten as it is made from white or whole wheat flour. However, if you have a favorite gluten-free pita bread then you can use that instead.
You can use any kind of pita bread you like. For thinner, crispier chips, split the pita pocket in half. If you want a nice thick chip, use a thicker pita. Thicker chips are better for thick dips, so keep that in mind when you make them.
One of the best parts about these pita bread chips is picking which of your favorite dips to pair them with! Hummus, store-bought or homemade, is a classic option. We also love them with Avocado Dip or Whipped Ricotta. Or try another Mediterranean dip like tzatziki, a cucumber yogurt sauce.
- Plain or Whole Wheat Pita Bread – You can use white or whole wheat to make this recipe.
- Herbs and Spices – It is so fun to play with different spices to flavor your chips, such as dried basil, onion powder, cumin, etc. Or even try a spice blend like za’atar.
- Naan instead of Pita Bread – You can follow this same technique with cut up naan to make naan chips.
- Sesame Seeds – For a nutty flavor, sprinkle on some sesame seeds before baking.
- Air Fryer Pita Chips – Make the recipe as is, and add the seasoned triangles to an air fryer basket. Air fry at 320°F for about 12 minutes, and give the basket a shake every 3-4 minutes to toss them.
These can safely be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. However, they start to lose their crunch after about 3 days.
- Watch while baking – Toward the end of the bake time, keep a close eye on them so they don’t go from perfectly golden brown to burnt.
- Brush or toss – Brushing the triangles with the spiced oil gives them a lighter coating. You can also toss them with the oil in a bowl until evenly coated.
- Bake in an even layer – When spreading them out on the baking sheet, make sure they are in an even layer and not overlapping for the crispiest results.
- Don’t line the baking sheet – Direct contact with the metal sheet pan will produce an even crispier result.
- Cool before storing – Pita chips are delicious warm, but they should be allowed to cool completely before storing. They will get even crispier as they cool.
More Easy Snack Recipes
Baked Pita Chips
- 5 pieces pita bread cut into 8 triangles each
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the olive oil and spices in a small bowl.
- Cut each piece of pita bread into 8 triangles. Place the sliced pita bread onto a nonstick baking sheet and brush the tops with the oil/ spice mixture.
- Bake the pita bread for 12 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!