Last updated on
Chicken Lettuce Wraps are restaurant-inspired, ready in under 20 minutes, and so easy to make! Ground chicken is cooked and seasoned with Asian flavors before being piled into crisp, fresh lettuce cups.
This copycat recipe of the PF Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps is a great option for a filling, yet healthy appetizer. Not only is it loaded with lean protein but it’s also a delicious low carb recipe that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Table of Contents
Why We Love Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- PF Chang’s copycat – The same great taste as the restaurant version but made right at home.
- Easy clean up – We’re only using one pot to make these chicken lettuce wraps, so the clean up is a snap!
- Quick – The entire recipe is ready in less than 20 minutes.
Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Lettuce Wraps
All you need is ground chicken, some fresh lettuce, and a handful of easy-to-find ingredients to make this appetizer recipe.
- Olive oil – Or another cooking oil such as canola or avocado oil.
- Ground chicken – this won’t work with shredded chicken, so make sure to get the ground. You could also use ground pork or ground turkey.
- Garlic and ginger – I highly prefer the flavor of fresh minced garlic and ginger, but you can use the pre-minced kind in a jar if that’s what you have.
- Onion – Such as white or yellow onion.
- Hoisin sauce – You can find this in the shelf stable Asian ingredients aisle of most grocery stores.
- Soy sauce – I always opt for a low sodium soy sauce for better flavor control.
- Rice wine vinegar
- Canned water chestnuts – You can buy the whole water chestnuts and then drain/dice them for this recipe.
- Green onions – Also called scallions or spring onions.
- Salt and pepper
- Head of lettuce – I love butter lettuce, but you can also use iceberg lettuce or Romaine lettuce.
How to Make PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
Making restaurant-inspired Asian lettuce wraps is surprisingly easy! They’re ready start to finish in less than 20 minutes.
- Prep lettuce – Carefully pull the lettuce leaves off the head of lettuce and wash/dry the leaves with paper towels. Set aside or keep chilled while you cook the chicken.
- Brown chicken – Start by browning the ground chicken in a large skillet with the oil over medium-high heat. As the meat cooks, you can crumble and break it up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add other ingredients – To the chicken, add the garlic, ginger, onion, sauces, and rice vinegar. Cook while you stir frequently until the onions are soft and translucent. Finally stir in the water chestnuts and sliced green onions and cook for another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve – To eat the lettuce wraps, spoon some of the chicken mixture into the lettuce cups and fold up the sides to eat.
Butter lettuce is a great choice for lettuce wraps! But you can also use a head of iceberg or romaine lettuce. The key is to pick a lettuce that has large, sturdy leaves for filling.
Yes, you can swap in ground turkey for the chicken in this recipe. The flavor will be slightly different from the PF Chang’s version but they will still taste amazing. The recipe steps will be the same. Ground pork or ground beef are also options.
Serve the lettuce wraps right after making while the filling is still warm. I like to serve the filling and empty lettuce cups separately so everyone can fill their own. Not only is this easier, but it’s more fun to fill your own. The filling can also be served with steamed rice.
For a complete meal, you can serve other takeout-inspired recipes such as dumplings, potstickers, egg fried rice, or a noodle dish.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: I recommend storing the chicken filling separately from the lettuce cups. The chicken can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. If the lettuce cups have already been rinsed, I would store in the fridge, wrapped in paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
Reheating: For best results, reheat the chicken in a pan on the stove over medium heat. You can add a splash of water or soy sauce to moisten as needed.
- Soy Sauce – To get the PF Chang’s flavor, I use soy sauce in this recipe but you can swap in tamari or coconut aminos if you are gluten-free.
- Optional Spice – As written, this recipe is not spicy. But if you or your family/friends like heat, you can serve the lettuce wraps with a bottle of sriracha or red pepper flakes to add some heat.
More Quick Bites You’ll Love
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 8- ounce can whole water chestnuts drained and diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head butter lettuce or iceberg, romaine, anything sturdy
- Gently pull lettuce leaves off of the head of lettuce. Wash and pat them dry with paper towels. Set aside or chill until ready to serve.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it cooks; 3-5 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in garlic, onion, sausages, vinegar and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and translucent; 2-3 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and green onions and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, spoon some of the ground chicken mixture into the lettuce cups, fold up the sides, and enjoy.