Avocado dip with sour cream is flavorful, creamy, and quick to make. Ready in just 5 minutes and with only a few simple ingredients.
Serve the dreamy Avocado Dip recipe with your favorite tortilla chips, Pita Chips, or veggies.
Table of Contents
Why It’s Great
- Creamy – The texture of this yummy party dip is so smooth.
- Versatile – Use as a dip with chips or dollop on tacos.
- Ready in 5 minutes – It takes only 5 minutes to make and no cooking is needed.
- A Healthy Snack – Not only is it delicious, but this dip is good for you, too. Make it even healthier by swapping in Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Ingredients for Avocado Dip
You only need 4 ingredients plus a couple staple spices to make this creamy dip.
- Avocados – Make sure your avocados are ripe.
- Lime Juice – For best flavor, freshly squeeze the juice from a lime vs using the kind in a jar. Lemon juice works too.
- Sour Cream
- Minced Garlic – Fresh is best
- Spices – Red Pepper Flakes and Onion Powder
How To Make Creamy Avocado Dip
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
Just grab your food processor and blend everything up!
- Blend Dip – Add all of the ingredients to a small food processor. Pulse until the avocado dip is smooth and homogenous. I recommend scraping down the sides of the food processor to make sure everything gets combined.
- Taste Test and Serve – Give it a taste and add salt as desired. Serve the avocado dip immediately after serving.
While guacamole and avocado dip are similar as they both use avocados as the base, the avocado dip has sour cream added to give it a creamy taste and texture. The dip is also blended in the food processor giving it a smoother finish vs the small chunks found in mashed guacamole.
If you can only find rock hard avocados at the store and want to speed up the ripening process at home, store them in a paper bag on the counter at room temperature. It should only take a day or so for them to ripen fully.
You can tell an avocado is ripe by giving it a very gentle squeeze. It should be somewhat firm with a little give. The skin should also be dark and not bright green.
Serve it with your favorite tortilla chips or even veggies for dipping. It’s also great drizzled over tacos, spread onto burritos, fajitas, or dolloped on top of a taco salad or burrito bowl.
- Spices – Other spices you can add to this dip include cilantro, parsley, cumin, chili powder, or even red pepper flakes or cayenne to make it spicy.
- Greek Yogurt – You can swap in plain greek yogurt for the sour cream for a lighter variation.
- Jalapeno – For some spice, you can add a little bit of chopped jalapeño.
Storage: This dip will last for 3-4 days in the fridge. Because of the avocados, it will begin to brown from oxidation. A way to slow this process is to store it in an airtight container, but press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the dip to trap out the air before putting the lid on the container.
Freezing is not recommended as it will negatively impact the texture.
- Use ripe avocados – It is important to use ripe avocados with this dish to get the best flavor and ensure your mixture will be nice and smooth.
- Make right before serving – Because of the oxidation process that causes the avocado to brown, it’s best to mix up the dip right before serving.
More Creamy Dips To Try
- 2 large avocados ripe
- 1 lime freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Place all the ingredients in a small food processor.
- Pulse the food processor until the ingredients are smooth and well combined. You may need to stir the mixture to ensure there are no pieces of avocado stuck to the sides of the processor.
- Serve with chips, drizzle onto tacos, etc.