Last updated on
This Hot Artichoke Dip recipe is an easy appetizer made with artichokes, cheese, garlic and herbs. It’s one of our favorites because it’s simple and ready in less than 30 minutes. Serve it warm with chips, crackers or chunks of fresh bread.
Dips are my favorite thing to serve for parties. They are easy to make – just combine ingredients and bake or chill. They can be cheesy, like my Garlic Bread Cheese Dip, or light and tangy like my Greek Whipped Feta Dip or they can be so full of flavor you think your head will explode, like this Hot Artichoke Dip.
It’s super rich and creamy, perfectly seasoned and packed full of artichokes and Parmesan cheese. It tastes amazing as it, but you can customize with your favorite types of cheese, herbs or even add veggies. Served with your favorite dippers, this is the perfect appetizer for holidays, game day, even potlucks!
Table of Contents
Artichoke Dip Ingredients
- Cream cheese – Use full fat, brick style cream cheese for the best results.
- Mayonnaise – If you are absolutely opposed to mayo, you can double the sour cream
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated will have the best flavor and melts the best. However, for this dip you can use the pre-grated in the can and it will be fine.
- Seasonings – Seasoned salt, garlic powder, ground black pepper
- Artichoke hearts – Get the artichokes packed in water, not marinated which will add a whole different flavor profile.
How To Make It
- Combine ingredients (except artichoke hearts) in a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Add the artichoke hearts and lightly pulse until they have slightly broken down but there are still small chunks. You can also just go to town and break everything down for a completely smooth and creamy dip.
- Pour the dip mixture into an 8-inch or 2-quart baking dish and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top has nicely browned and the dip is bubbly. Garnish with fresh minced parsley if desired.
- Spicy: To make the dip spicy, add a diced jalapeno. Or stir in a 4 ounce can of diced green chiles for a mild heat.
- Deluxe: Add some mediterranean flair with sundried tomatoes (well drained), chopped olives and a squeeze of lemon. Substitute or simply add shredded Mozzarella cheese or Fontina cheese.
- Kid Friendly: Try a breadcrumb or cracker topping. Crush a sleeve of ritz cracker or measure a cup of panko breadcrumbs and combine with 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle on top of the dip and bake as directed.
How to Serve
I am a traditionalist and I like chips with my dips. Try some Air Fryer Tortilla Chips – they are delicious! Other dippers include crackers (any kind you like), Crostini, pita chips, chunks of bread or baguette slices. Vegetables like carrots, bell peppers or celery would be great, too.
Storage and Make Ahead Tips
Storage: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave if desired.
Freezing: You can freeze this dip either before or after baking. If baked, let cool completely before wrapping in layers of plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before baking or reheating.
Make Ahead: This dip can be prepared up to a day ahead of time. Pour into the baking dish, sprinkle with cheese, then cover tightly and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Set the dip on the counter while your oven preheats so it can come to room temperature.
Slow Cooker Dip
This dip recipe also works in the slow cooker. Once you’ve combined all the ingredients, pour into the crock pot and spread evenly. Cover and cook on low for 1-2 hours, or until the dip is hot and bubbly. Note that it won’t brown like in the photos.
- If you don’t have a food processor, or don’t want to use one, you can do without. Drain and chop the artichokes into small pieces. Combine cream cheese, sour cream and mayo in a large bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bake as directed.
- Room temperature cream cheese is best for blending.
- To make this dip lighter, swap out the mayo and/or sour cream for plain Greek Yogurt. You could also use a low-fat cream cheese instead of the full fat variety.
- Add some fresh spinach. Stir in some fresh chopped spinach at the end (not in the food processor).
More Delicious Appetizers
Hot Artichoke Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 28 ounces canned artichoke hearts drained
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large food processor, mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan cheese, seasoned salt, garlic powder and black pepper until smooth.
- Add the artichoke hearts and continue processing until desired texture is reached. Use a light pulse if you want pieces of artichoke or grind completely if you prefer your dip smooth.
- Place in a 8×8 baking dish or small casserole dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.