Honey Mustard Sauce is a simple, 5-ingredient dipping sauce for pretzels, veggies, chicken nuggets and more. It’s sweet, tangy and creamy, and only takes 5 minutes to make.
No more asking for extra honey mustard sauce at the drive thru, because you can easily whip up this delicious sauce at home. Dip everything from french fries to pretzel bites to chicken wings! Plus it tastes so much better than what comes in those little processed cups.
I love how creamy this dip is! Homemade honey mustard sauce is so flavorful and rich. Aside from the usual suspects, it tastes great on just about anything, from chicken to pork to potatoes and makes a great honey mustard dip or honey mustard dressing.
What is Honey Mustard Sauce Made of?
- Mustard – I used equal parts Dijon Mustard and regular Yellow Mustard. Dijon has a spicier flavor, while regular yellow has more tang.
- Mayo – This adds a creamy element which makes the dip extra rich. You could also use sour cream or plain greek yogurt if you have an aversion to mayonnaise.
- Honey – The sweetness balances the tanginess of the mustard.
- Lemon juice – to add a little extra tang.
- Black pepper – for a pinch of extra flavor. You could also add a pinch cayenne for heat.
How to Make Honey Mustard Sauce
What I love about this honey mustard recipe is that it’s simple to make with 5 minutes of prep and it’s easily customizable.
- Measure ingredients into a small bowl.
- Stir them together. I like to use a whisk to emulsify and get everything thick and creamy.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard
My favorite thing to dip in this sauce is chicken strips or tenders. It’s just so good and so versatile. But here are a few other things we love:
- Chicken – Any kind of chicken from and chicken tenders and nuggets to chicken breast to chicken drumsticks. It also makes a fantastic marinade.
- Pork – I love a good mustard sauce with pork chops or pork tenderloin.
- Vegetables – Drizzle over steamed veggies or use for dipping fresh vegetables from a traditional crudite platter.
- Pretzels – Regular soft pretzels or pretzel bites are a classic dipper, even hard pretzels are delicious.
- Salads – Honey mustard is a great salad dressing for a basic dinner salad or a crispy chicken salad.
- French fries – If you’ve ever dipped your fries in mustard, you have to try this sweet and creamy upgrade.
- Burgers – Spread this sauce on hamburgers, sandwiches or sliders for added flavor.
- Quality matters: When you have a short list of ingredients, quality matters. Use brand name, high quality mustards for the best results.
- Storage: Store sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. It will remain fresh for about a week, depending the freshness of the ingredients.
- Freezing is not recommended.
More Delicious Dips to Try
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup honey more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of black pepper
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Makes about 1 cup of sauce, or 4-6 servings.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Store sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freezing is not recommended.