- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 12 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices American cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 4 ounce can diced jalapenos more or less to taste
- Sliced jalapenos for garnish
To a medium sized saucepan, add the cheese and toss it with the cornstarch over low heat.
Slowly pour in the evaporated milk, whisking constantly, until incorporated.
Continue to whisk for several minutes, until the cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
Stir in the diced jalapenos.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips, pretzels, or veggies.
- This recipe makes about 3.5 cups of sauce. You want to plan at least 1/4 cup for each guest.
- Cheese sauce is best when it's just made. As it cools, the texture begins to change and it may require extra milk to bring it back to a smooth and creamy texture.
- Storage: Let the sauce cool a bit before storing in an airtight container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
- Reheating: You can reheat in the microwave, stirring every 20-30 seconds, or over low heat in a small saucepan.
Calories: 179kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 10gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 324mgPotassium: 123mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 419IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 352mgIron: 1mg
Keyword nacho cheese, nacho cheese sauce