Last updated on
Whether you are planning a party or just need a simple dinner idea, these Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders are a must make! Tender, flavorful bbq shredded chicken and tangy, crunchy coleslaw stuffed into soft slider buns is a favorite among kids and adults alike.
These Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders are just the easy appetizer you need to round out your party menu.
Crockpot bbq chicken is perfect for sliders, but you can also use it to fill a baked potato, top a salad, stuff in a tortilla or top your nachos or pizza. Makes good weekly meal prep, too.
Want another great slider option? Try my Italian Meatball Sliders!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Chicken – I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can use skinless chicken thighs if you want, but even boneless they tend to be a little greasier.
- BBQ Sauce – a whole bottle of your favorite sauce.
- Chicken broth – adds flavor to the chicken.
- Coleslaw – this is totally optional, but I love the crunch and tang to top the sliders. You could also serve this on the side as a salad. To make, you need coleslaw mix, mayo, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar.
- Buns – You can make these into full size sandwiches if you want, but as part of an appetizer menu, sliders are the way to go. You can find slider buns in packages of 8-12 in the bread section.
How to Make BBQ Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- Cook chicken. Add chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker, then pour in bbq sauce and broth. Cover and cook for a few hours or until chicken is cooked to at least 165℉.
- Make coleslaw. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the coleslaw by mixing coleslaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage) with mayo, vinegar, lemon juice and sugar. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Shred chicken. Once the chicken is fully cooked, use 2 forks to shred it in the slow cooker.
- Assemble sliders. Place chicken on the bottom bun and top with coleslaw. Replace the top of the bun and arrange on a platter.
Chicken cooks quickly, and only takes 2-3 hours on high. Depending on the size, it could be done even faster. I always recommend cooking on high and watching the temperature. Once it hits 165℉, it’s good.
I always recommend to cook chicken on high in a slow cooker. To keep it tender and juicy, chicken should be cooked faster at a high temperature. If you want to cook on low, you won’t need more than 4 hours cooking time.
I usually serve these buffet style, with the bbq chicken in the crockpot, buns and coleslaw on the side. That way everyone can make their own sliders, customizing the amount of toppings.
If you have a large spread, you may want to assemble the sandwiches yourself. If you are making them ahead of time, I recommend toasteing the inside of the bun to keep them from getting soggy.
Spicy: Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or a few dashes of hot sauce to the crockpot, either before or after cooking.
Deluxe: Pile sliders high with lettuce, tomato and some crispy fried onions on a super soft brioche roll.
Kid Friendly: Leave off the coleslaw and serve with a side of ranch dressing.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Cool chicken completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Freezing: Cool chicken completely. Store in a plastic freezer bag or freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: For a small individual portion, you can microwave to reheat. If making several portions, I recommend heating in a saucepan on the stove top. If frozen, thaw completely before reheating.
- Use chicken breast. Thighs and dark meat tend to be greasier.
- For more flavor, add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and a dash of worcestershire sauce to the chicken prior to cooking.
- Split buns in half and toast with insides facing up. This will keep them from soaking up too much sauce and becoming soggy.
- The coleslaw is optional. For a super simple appetizer, just serve the chicken with the buns.
- Add a little brown sugar for sweetness or Liquid Smoke for a smoky touch.
More Delicious Easy Appetizers
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 slider buns
- Place chicken, barbecue sauce, and chicken broth in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, into the slow cooker.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, and sugar until combined. Add coleslaw mix and stir until coleslaw is coated with sauce. I recommend making this at least 30 minutes in advance.
- Optional: Warm slider buns in the oven or microwave.
- Top buns with shredded chicken and coleslaw. Serve immediately.